our spartanette trailer renovation!

we are so very excited to share this renovation with you!  we have spent quite a few months working on making this trailer suit the needs of our family of (almost) six and we just returned from taking it out on it’s maiden voyage up the california coast.  it was amazing and i can’t recommend adventuring like this enough!  some people think we are crazy to take our very young children out on the open road but we have found that there is no better classroom than the world for our little ones to learn (we just started homeschooling gracie) and also being in a small space for extended periods of time also forces us to interact and not just use the tv as a babysitter which can happen so much at home.  we have to be very intentional about what items we take in the trailer, making sure they are beneficial for our time, space and usage.  in the trailer, we all grow closer, we cuddle more, we get outside and adventure.  we can’t bring many toys along so instead of playing with blocks, we go on scavenger hunts and then learn about the items and have hours of playtime in nature.  it is also good for our marriage… instead of retreating into separate rooms after the kids for to bed, we read together, we talk, we have to be close and quiet and actually hang out and share life.  and being able to listen to the rain fall on the trailer roof by candlelight is sure romantic!  now, i will say there are challenges.  such as, brandon getting the stomach flu at 1am one night and trying to figure it all out.  we were sleep deprived the next day but we learned to bring lots of extra sheets and towels and a very loud white noise machine to enable to rest of the crew to sleep through things like that.  it is an adventure, but we have the best stories to tell and memories for our children to have the rest of their lives.  we figure they will be grown soon and will probably not want to be in a small space with us for long once they are teens, so we are going to really enjoy this time now and keep them cuddled close.  :)

so about the trailer… it is a 1950 spartanette trailer!  it is 23 feet long, has full electric, water, propane (and pretty much everything we need to live aside from a bathroom).  we just have made sure we try and stay at campground with rv hook-ups and request to be as close to the bathrooms and playgrounds as possible.  works out well so far but we have talked about doing a build-out for a little bathroom in one of the closet areas.  as far as the renovation, we had to pull down the wood in the interior to re-do the electrical in some places and re-did some of the insulation.  but other than that, we had looked for a long time at vintage trailers and made sure this one had good bones to start.  everything else was about figuring out how to make the furniture and decor as functional as possible for our family (and cute, of course)!  we hope you enjoy the tour!  we are starting with a little video wrap-up of our trip, followed by the photos…

and here is a list of where we found some of the things for our trailer interior:    fridge/freezer:  authentic 1950′s westinghouse from savon appliances in burbank, ca.  curtains: handmade/fabric by joel dewberry.  child chairs & wall bookshelf:  land of nod.  sofa & chevron rug:  urban outfitters.  bed comforter:  anthropologie.  yarn wrapped antlers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/YarnBombedAntlers.  typewriter table, lockers, quilts, kitchen stool & various other decor: vintage.

This entry was posted in our trailer renovations. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to our spartanette trailer renovation!

1. Sara says:

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE, like really love, your new site. It just feels like you when I look at it. SO perfect. and I love seeing these photos of your renovation. Sean told me this morning, “i want to start living the simple life” and i asked him if he’s been talking to you ;) You’re an inspiration to so many, Joy. In just that short time I met you, you have made an impact on me and you continue to do so. I think of you and pray for you all often. xo

2. Emily Chaffin says:

I’m in love!!! It’s just about the most precious, sweetest thing I ever did see!!!

3. Amy says:

Running upstairs as I type this comment to view on the “big screen”! Vintage beauty through and through. Happy travels!

4. Amber says:

OMG. I am dying over this! I want a camper so bad and my husband insists that with 3 kids a small camper for trips would never work! I can’t wait to prove him wrong! I’m so in love with it.

5. Jenne Vazquez says:

the video brought tears to my eyes, of happiness of course! Love your little road trip adventure and so happy you could share this with us!

6. Hilary says:

The video was amazing!! Everything feels very vintage and family oriented! I hope that someday when we have kids we can take adventures like this.

7. Caroline Jensen says:

That is the best thing I have ever seen! I bookmarked it because we want to remodel our airstream. You have THE most beautiful camper!

8. Andrea says:

Your video had in a puddle of tears! So beautiful! I’ve been following you on instagram for awhile, I’m littlegnomebabycat. Can’t remember how I discovered you and your beautiful photography but glad I did. I’ve been amazed by so many coincidences/ similarities in our lives. I started following you as a fellow mama, photographer, and lover of all things vintage. Then when you announced your pregnancy, I was going through a rough first trimester myself, I’m due feb.27. I was going to say, except it is my third and not my fourth…but that has all changed and I am in fact having my fourth too…with twins. Even our anniversaries with our loves, are only a day apart! Your video and images make me think about how precious this gift of family is. Your family is so beautiful and it makes me reflect on how lucky I am to have such a lovely little family too. Good luck with the third trimester that is soon upon us. Your pictures of sweet baby Clem got me through some rough and very sick days in the beginning. I’m excited for more little babies in my home. And am inspired to get back into camping with my big pile of kids.

9. michelle says:

so perfect joy! : D i’m so happy for you! your little babes are too cute for words! hope to see you again soon! at the very least, to shoot my wedding someday! xo

10. Melissa West says:

Adorable! The blog, the video and the family=) I’ve followed your blog for a while now and am so excited that we have adventure in common! Right now we are working on redoing our RV to travel fulltime – with little ones as well. Yup people thing we are crazy too=) Your decorating has inspired me and I can’t wait to finish painting!

11. Rosie says:

Joy!! It’s perfection. I’m drooling over here and want that trailer so bad :) . You and Donny did an amazing job!

And the new blog is so you! I love it!

12. Heather Ferrill says:

Joy! I’ve said it before but everything you touch turns to adorable! I love it. Not sure how you do it with out a potty (especially preggo). We used to have a little cassette toilet in our tent trailer and it was small and easy to clean (it was of course for night and emergencies only).

I heart camping so much! Your trailer is amazing.

13. Rianne says:

Oh Joy,

Your trailer is a dream and I LOVED seeing the little movie you guys made!! Made me want to be part of your beautiful family!
    Beautiful photos as always… Will you ever do a tour through Europe? Here is your first customer! :-) )
    You, your photos and your family brighten up my life, THANK YOU!

14. Nikki says:

I LOVE it! It’s fantastic!!! Congrats on baby #4 coming! Love your cute family and your beautiful photos and blog!

15. Charity says:

Oh my! This is the sweetest, most charming thing I’ve seen ever. Your camper is absolutely perfect and so are your babies! Congrats on number 4

16. Ashley says:

Wow! Your videos brought tears to my eyes!!!!
    What a beautiful family you have.
    The bond & love you share is truly rare!
    I absolutely LOVE the new website. Thank you for being such an inspiration, Joy!
    xo

17. Heather Glasby says:

Joy… your new blog is absolutely perfect for you guys, it’s beautiful. It’s like someone created YOU in a blog! I can’t wait to check it all the time! So glad we got to meet you guys and remain friends. I can’t wait to see the future of the Prouty’s!

18. kristin says:

Yay! I really enjoyed your previous trailer holiday photos, and now I am loooooving this! Our little family enjoys our 1968 Travellaire trailer. We have it permanently parked, riverside in a gorgeous corner of the world where we are in British Columbia. Always a fan of your work Joy! Great share! Enjoy your adventures!

19. Kelsey Clark says:

Joy!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!! Your photos are breathtaking…but it is always your words that melt my heart!!! I love your outlook on life, your raw honesty, and the beautiful way you love as a family!!!!! It’s trailer is perfection…in every way!!! Your kids are soooo blessed!!!! And…I will say it again…this site…unbelievable!!! It is sooo YOU and sooo PERFECT!!!!:) xoxoxo

20. MOnica says:

Joy, i adore your work and your family!! I wish you all the best! kisses from Romania!

21. cass miller says:

This post is so inspiring, Joy! I love everything about this. Thank you for sharing such sweet memories here! xoxo

22. merideth a says:

every detail is perfection joy!! and the lockers look so amazing!!

23. courtney says:

this is so dreamy! love it.

24. Caroline says:

I’ve been following you on Instagram for about a year, and I’m always amazed by your wonderful family and incredible adventures. Your trailer looks fantastic, and you all look so happy. I hope that once I have a family of my own, I can start to live the simple life, too. You are an inspiration, Joy!

Love from Orange County,
    Caroline (13)

25. amanda waltman says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this post! :)

26. Pingback: A few of my favorite pins this week | Vintage Life Photography

27. Shabana says:

i’d just like to say that I’m thankful for free spirits like you, for sharing your adventures and your love and inspiring the bejeezus out of me!!! stay groovy!

28. Pingback: Mali Mish » Blog Archive Mali Mish - Day 107: A visit from a pup and antiquing in Asheville.

29. Ashley says:

So, so beautiful. What a special place…

30. elizabeth pellette says:

oh my gosh .. how awesome.. I so want a camper/tow behind so we can start going on family trips like this..

31. melody joy says:

oh oh Joy i just love this so so much. this makes my heart sing!!! you are my hero for real :)
    i made a mama bird’s nest necklace for you with 4 little pearls and i would love to send it to you! is there any way you could email me a good mailing address? thank you for shining so much love and light!

32. Shannon says:

That video is awesome! It’s like something from a movie, what an incredible family you have! And your trailer is to die for. I love love love it.

33. maureen says:

This is so inspiring. I love the journey you are going to set out on. The trailer is gorgeous. I would love to set out to this very thing one day.

34. Hilde Meyer says:

Hello Joy. I have read your blog for a long time, but I have to leave some comments because you´re such an inspiration and I love your photos, your taste in furniture etc. You look happy, healthy and lovely. Keep on doing what makes you happy, and we will continue to read your wonderful posts. All the best, Hilde Meyer from Norway.

35. Betsy says:

Hello! I stumbled across you via instagram and just wanted to say hi! We’re not on the road yet, but we bought a converted school bus to live in with our 2 girls and a baby on the way. I love running across people who share a similar dream! We’re not sure exactly where this will take us, but our plan is to live in it for six months and see where God takes us. Safe travels on your journey!