Update on our adventure!

hello!  so, here is an update on what we’ve been doing these last two weeks since i blogged about our plans to put our house on the market and sell all of our belongings in an effort of simplifying our life and living on the road for a while (check two posts back to read about that if you haven’t already)!

we had our estate sale last weekend and we sold pretty much ALL of our stuff.  hundreds of people showed up to support us at our sale and buy our belongings and we felt so very loved.  there was a moment right before the sale started when i walked outside with the baby and meant to just welcome everyone, but when i opened my mouth to speak, only tears came out along with the kind of loud crying that doesn’t even make sense.  there haven’t been many moments in my life where i’ve been so overwhelmed with joy that all i’ve come up with is tears and it was a beautiful moment.  i looked around at all the faces of the people there just smiling back.  i saw old friends, new friends, past clients, my family, dancing children, daddies feeding their babies, and faces of friends i’d made online and finally got to meet for the first time in real life.  it was overwhelming.  i was mush.  and then to watch everyone just stream through our home and gather up things from our past, it was pretty surreal.  i remembered all the stories from the items we were selling and the happy faces of new owners and the homes they would all now be going to.  it felt so freeing!  when it was all over, donny and i sat down on the couch as the breeze was blowing through the house and we just looked at each other and smiled so big and cried again.  we agreed that we both just felt like we were doing exactly what we were supposed to be doing.  that the big picture was so much greater than all the stuff.  and that the weight of the world in having to manage all the stuff was suddenly just gone.  that saying is so true that less is more, so much more.

when people are asked if a fire was to start in their home, what would they grab first, the answer is usually their family and pets, the photographs and the things that are the most special.  and, well, that’s what we are doing.  we’ve got our babies, our old photographs and the equipment to take lots of new ones along the journey, and our most special belongings (quilts i’ve made for each child, their favorite toys, etc).  we’ve got enough clothes and household items for everyday living and we have the dream of living our happy life right in front of us.  we hope the kids remember this.  we hope that they don’t have to wait until they are “grown ups” to realize how beautiful simplicity is.

we have had so many beautiful moments in this bittersweet time of packing, sorting, boxing, giving and selling.  the kind of moments where the most important things in life are so blazingly clear.  it feels good to have less and to know we are that much closer to being free of the burden of debt and maintaining all the stuff.

and as for selling our house… we are in escrow!!!  it’s amazing the way that God works.  we always said that if we were meant to do this that God would allow our house to sell quickly.  i got an email randomly from a family that said they wanted to buy our house!  they came over and everything fell into place before we even got a chance to put it on the market.  and it is just the perfect fit for their family!  we put so much of our hearts into making this house a home and it feels so great knowing that this family will love all those details too.  pretty crazy how when you take a step in the direction you are supposed to go, that God aligns everything perfectly.  we close escrow at the end of this month, then shoot two weddings and then we will be living in the trailer, seeing the country, shooting family sessions and weddings along the way until the end of 2013!  i will be posting our travel dates and openings for family sessions along the way next week so stay tuned!  :)

here are photos from the day of our sale…

may-101  may-103 may-106 may-107 may-108.5 may-108 may-117 may-118b&w may-119 may-120 may-121 may-124b&w may-125

and some more photos of life around here the last week or so…

may-126b&w  may-129may-131gracie has spend lots of time in the backyard.  i know she will miss this happy space but we talk a lot about the amazing nature we are going to travel to soon! may-135we planted these pink roses in our backyard when my grandma nina went to heaven.  it started as a tiny plant and it now taller than gracie and flourishing!  we will have to get us a little tiny rose bush for the trailer.  :)may-136 may-140this son of mine… he is a baby lover.  he is absolutely crazy about his “Mabel Darling” as he calls her.  he loves to wear her in the carrier anytime i let him.  it melts me. may-142 may-305we are surely savoring our last few weeks in our home.  lots more photos coming soon.

This entry was posted in our journey to simplification, Personal Stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Update on our adventure!

1. Erin says:

Joy, I am SO thrilled for you. I love hearing your story and testimony of how you are seeing God at work in this beautiful and wild change in your life. Reminds me of two things (1) In the Narnia series, Mr. Beaver exclaims that Aslan isn’t safe, but he is GOOD and he’s the KING…and of course that is what God is like. God is not safe. He is exciting and dynamic and majestic and powerful and complex and infinite. (2) And we are made in his image. GO FORTH sweet lady and be IMAGE BEARERS of the King!

2. N.prather says:

You inspire me to live simpler. May god bless your endeavors !!

3. Mailinh says:

Joy…

I am so HAPPY for you that you’re getting closer and closer to your goal. Do know that I’m always sending happy thoughts/vibes and hugs to you and your family. Can’t wait for to hear all the adventures you’re about to have.

xx,

Mailinh

P.S. Love how Brandon is loving is sweet “Mabel Darling” sister.

4. Melissa West says:

I love watching your dreams unfold and you share your story so beautifully. Just like you when we sold our things it was so hard/bittersweet, but, the moment all that was gone it was so freeing! And it’s true for us as well – when we started taking steps toward traveling and selling everything God opened doors and things started falling into place. Thank you for sharing!

5. The Stork & The Beanstalk says:

Oh Joy, I’m so excited for you guys. So happy to hear the house is in escrow. Funny how things that are meant to be work out. Excited to follow along with your journey.

6. Jennifer Wendland says:

Thank you for sharing your life with us so openly and honestly. Reading your blog post brings back my own bittersweet memories of when we sold all our belongings, except what we could fit in nine suitcases, and moved to a tiny pueblo in Mexico. Its quite the feeling when all you have managed to accumulate over the years is gone. I personally had a hard time letting go, as I saw a memory in every little object we owned. But here we are two years later and I can barely remember the “things” we sold. Instead I have less stress, more freedom, and more time with my family to continue creating new memories. It was worth it. I wouldn’t change a thing. I wish you and your family all the best on this super adventure you are beginning.

7. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang says:

I will be keeping you in prayer. I am so excited for you! Please let us know what we can do for you! And if you are ever in Phoenix, please let me make you dinner!

8. Hanneke says:

Wow thats such a great step but so so cool!

9. Katie Lynn Wetherington says:

I wish GA wasn’t so far away from CA! I would have so been at your sale! I love your taste and would have loved to use some of your things as photography props. I have been following your blog for a while now and I’m in love with your work! I hope you and your family get everything out of your travels you want to and more!

10. Olivia -the more I see the less I know- says:

I want to cry looking at these images, cry because how much we hold onto possessions, when in reality it’s the people in our lives that we should hold tight to.

What a beautiful example you are setting for your children, friends, family and the rest of us following your journey.

I told my husband how much I admire you guy’s courage to explore this world and let go of worldly possessions. I want that, and we’re slowly taking those steps.

And if you haven’t heard- Ohio is for lovers, we’d welcome you warmly! :)

Enjoy the journey.
    xo,
    Olivia

11. Caroline says:

You are a true inspiration. <3 I love your faith and vision so much!

12. katy tuttle says:

weaping as i read. what a lovely family you have created. teaching them the most important things, so courageously. i hope that i can muster this courage someday. you are an inspiration. in photo, and beautiful spirit.

cheers!

13. Tami says:

I love coming here and reading your updates, first of all it puts a huge smile on my face and makes my whole day seem better :) Second it is so darn inspiring, you really get my wheels turning!

14. Michelle says:

Joy, So much beauty in even the sale of your material belongings. I am overjoyed for you and so excited to see what becomes of your journey…God is good. Praying for his blessings on your family during this time of transition.

15. Rachel says:

I can’t begin to describe how beautiful your family is and how phenomenal your photography is. You are such an inspiration and your blog/photography brightens my day. You definitely motivate me to remain open and honest on my blog. I wish you the best and many blessings on your new adventure! xo

16. Patricia says:

You all are an inspiration! I look forward to reading about your adventures! Happy Traveling!

17. Shabana says:

you are simply wonderful. thank you for shining your light so bright. every time i visit your blog i feel such a strong resonance. i feel like i am looking at my life down the road. thank you for being Joy.

18. Hollie says:

Simplify. Such a little word that makes such a big difference. I am so happy to see how everything is falling in place for your beautiful family. Thank you again for opening your home to everyone. My best friend and I traveled up from San Diego, and it was such a beautiful event to be a part of. I can’t wait to see what the places for your family sessions will be, hoping some San Diego dates will be on there. Blessings to you!

19. Lea Ciceraro says:

Awww I need you to come to North Carolina after our late summer kiddo arrives!! We NEED a family session by the totally awesome joy Prouty!!! :) Maybe it’ll still happen one day.. :) Good luck in your travels!

20. Sarah Cavazos says:

I a so jealous! Please let me know if you make it to the white sandy beaches of the Emerald Coast. I would love to catch up with you, you are an inspiration to many!

21. Stephanie.Nicole says:

I absolutely love the pictures of your guys wearing the littles. Thank you so much for sharing those.

Just stumbled upon your blog today. I’m glad you are sharing your (physical and spiritual) journey with us. It’s inspirational. :)