the Yahoo! news documentary of OUR family!

so remember when i told you that yahoo! news filmed us for a day for a documentary?  well, it is finished and online!  click HERE to watch it!!!

photo

we were on the front page.  millions of viewers.  i don’t think i could have been any more nervous about it.  when we heard it was up, donny and i both sat down at my laptop, took a deep breath, and watched.  and by the end we both had tears just dripping down our faces.  it was beautiful!!!  we are so grateful to the people who put it together (especially jeff, the producer) and wouldn’t change a thing about it.  i can’t express how surreal the feeling was to be seeing a video of our own life play out in front of us.  over the last six months it has seemed our life has gone in fast motion, so much moving and doing and fixing and packing and working and stressing and traveling and trying our best to be intentional and loving.  so much so that we hadn’t really taken a moment to step back and see how much we have actually accomplished… so many things we worried about for years with the burden now lifted.  such a blessing and a relief!  we just looked at each other and had this big moment where we saw that we were actually really living the life we had planned for and dreamed of for years.  surreal.  of course we then went and grabbed the kids and showed them the video too and they giggled and thought it was the coolest thing ever.  and then we were in a blissful state for about, oh, an hour.

and then the comments started pouring in from all sorts of various media sources in response to our video.  so many incredibly supportive comments, and to those i am so incredibly, overwhelmingly grateful.  and then there were the words of judgement.  and plain lies and hurtful, untrue assumptions about our family, our finances, our health, our intelligence, our marriage, the safety of our children, our choices, our appearance and character.  i knew there was a chance that it would happen and donny and i had several very long discussions in weighing out the pros and cons before agreeing to be filmed for the documentary.  we decided that the beauty in the journey was worth being shared.  that we had nothing to hide.  we hoped that our story may touch someone out there that may have been struggling, too.  and that since truth and bravery had brought immeasurable rewards in our life since we decided to live outside the box, we felt that wanted to share.  i was fully aware that we had made a choice to open ourselves up to the world.  i just had no idea how much it would hurt when the darkness swept around my family.  it’s one thing for a stranger to make a judgement about me (i didn’t even mind the comment about how all of my babies had really sucked all the life out of my boobies, lol!), but when it came to people making bold, untrue judgements about any sort of irresponsible parenting and putting our children in harm’s way, the pain struck so deep.  granted, the video portrays us as having a very happy-go-lucky, zero stress kinda life and is only four minutes long, but we had assumed viewers would obviously know that there was much more to the story.

here is what we do know… for the first time in our lives, we are living with purpose at every single moment.  we have never been more financially responsible, we are not getting assistance from anyone, we are working hard throughout this adventure.  we are never for one second negligent with our children.  we parent with more patience and joy and reason than ever before.  our marriage is firm.  our children are receiving an education of a lifetime and they are happy and secure.  the bonds our family has created over the last two months is nothing short of miraculous.  i could go on and on.  i could choose to retaliate and hate the people that have shown us so much disrespect and vulgarness.  but after much prayer and time to be still with my God, i know that the only person i need to please is Him.  the judgements of others do not define me or my family.  and that ultimately, God planted the seeds in our hearts for this journey and i know that He will see us through.  i also know that persecution from the world about us making a choice to live bravely and do something outside the norm perhaps is the affirmation that we are doing something very right.

yesterday i was driving with brandon.  i was in a state of confusion.  i had my phone in the passenger seat playing music as we drove in random order.  and then the song “legacy” by nichole nordeman came on.  i hadn’t really listened to it since college, back when i felt like i was having constant ‘mountaintop’ experiences with God and shouting His name out loud as often as i could.  and not that i don’t experience the same joy now.  but i feel more drained (i’m working on that).  and my mountaintop experiences aren’t necessarily spiritual highs but are more often found in the laughter of my children and in the few quiet moments, and sometimes the very loud ones, where i pause to take in all the blessings of my grown life.   this song was a little nudge from the great big God.  the God that wrote our family’s story on the palms of His hands long before we even existed.  He is always the hero of the story.  these are the words of the song…

“i don’t mind if you’ve got something nice to say about me.  i enjoy an accolade like the rest.  you could take my picture and hang it in a gallery of all the who’s who and so-and-so’s that used to be the best and such and such.  it wouldn’t matter much. i won’t lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights.  we all need an atta boy or atta girl.  but in the end i’d like to hang my hat on more besides the temporary trappings of this world.  i want to leave a legacy.  how will they remember me?  did i choose to love?  did i point to You enough to make a mark on things?  i want to leave an offering, a child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically.  leave that kind of legacy.  i don’t have to look to far or too long awhile to make a length list of all that i enjoy.  it’s an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile where moths and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy.  i want to leave a legacy.’

i love how raw and humbling these words are.  and i was singing it and crying.  and then brandon piped up from the backseat and said, “mommy, your voice is prettier than a princess and you are my beauty!”  and that’s when it hit me that all the criticism didn’t matter one bit.  and that the happy little four year old blessing in my backseat was all the proof i needed that we were making the best possible choice for our family.

so that’s about all for tonight.  i do want to share this blogpost with you, written by my friend ashley ann of under the sycamore.  i don’t have enough words to properly explain how blessed i feel by her.

i also wish i could get up on a rooftop and yell a big, HUGE, amazing thank you to each of you reading this, for watching our video, for the outpouring of support for what we are doing, for praying for us and laughing with us and crying with us.  for sharing your stories with us.   all the kind words just sprinkle our days with blessings.  thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

seeing His grace in every tiny detail.

this is us…

Prouty_037 c]beautiful photo by jagger photography up in bellingham, washington.

This entry was posted in our family adventures, our life on the road, Personal Stuff, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

128 Responses to the Yahoo! news documentary of OUR family!

1. Amy Lynne says:

I think you guys are brave, inspiring, and amazing. I can see the love you have for your family in everything you do! Just remember there are so many more people loving and praying for you than will ever be criticizing your choices. Continue to be be brave and love those babies!!

2. patty says:

Such a beautiful, amazing story! Thank you for sharing your adventure and being an inspiration to so many! May you be blessed today as you choose to love and point to Him! The lyrics of that song were such a great reminder for me today – a mom to young kids, just going thru the mundane of life!

3. Debbie says:

I found your story through Ashley’s post at Under the Sycamore. I did not see the video on Yahoo until she posted the link. I am mesmerized by your story. Shine on! Keep doing what you are doing and glorifying God. So many of the comments on the video are positive and uplifting—please know that many many many people are behind you and God is before you. He will make your paths straight.

4. Sarah says:

I loved your video on Yahoo. I found it through Under the Sycamore. I thought it was beautiful and so brave of you guys to sell your stuff and hit the road. I also think your brave traveling with 4 kids! But you guys rock. This is your life and you are doing a great job of being intentional. Thank you for sharing.

5. Sanz @ From The Mrs says:

I’d never heard of you or your blog until I saw your video and wanted to know more and found you here. Your video was beautiful and inspiring! I don’t get what it is “everyone” is chasing…long hours-overscheduled children-debt-big houses…What kind of life is that? I dream of doing what your family is doing! I noticed you will be in Wyoming soon. Jackson Hole is lovely but very touristy. If you want an authentic Wyoming experience in a charming little town nearby, visit Star Valley. Best wishes to you!

6. Claire says:

You have great strength through Him, sweet lady. What I always keep in mind when I have been wrongly judged is how that person must be hurting in someway. They are usually jealous, or think they are their own god, knowing better than everyone else – which causes much hurt to themselves. It is not their place to judge, so their words are trivial. You are doing what is right in Him. I will pray for those people’s nasty words to be eroded from your mind, to be replaced with joyous memories.

7. Julien says:

I think you all are an inspiration. What a fantastic gift to give to your children! I’m pregnant with my first and I dream about taking my family to live in Hawaii during the summer(s). It’s stories like yours that show me these kinds of dreams are possible. Not only are you teaching your children about the world, you are teaching them that it is okay to take a chance on something a little crazy.

8. Sarah says:

Your words are very inspiring and your focus is clear. Thank you for sharing. Your faith is uplifting for many of us out here.

9. Kathryn says:

The video is beautiful and perfect! Your true, rawness is what makes it, life, so real. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

10. chelsey says:

joy, you and your family are so beautiful. it is sad that people are saying mean hateful things but you guys all look so happy and in love with life (even though i’m sure every day is not perfect). the video and images of all of you are amazing. keep it up and don’t listen to the haters! i just started reading your blog a week or two ago and i love it so far. you are an inspiration :)

11. Corine says:

I have been following your adventure for a few months now and I truly love it! It breaks my heart to hear that people feel the need to be mean and hateful to you and your beautiful family.
    My husband and I have five children and struggle everyday to connect in meaningful ways, the best times we have are when we are packed into the car on a long road trip.
    I am happy for you and your family, safe travels.

12. tina says:

your beautiful adventure is just that, teaching your children to be wild and free is a gift, sharing it with the world is inspiring, living purposefully and present at this time is nothing short of a miracle, please please don’t let people scared of your journey poke holes in it. you letting me follow and cheer from the sidelines of your adventure, has helped my soul and align my family’s priorities more than you could ever imagine. thank you.

13. Mailinh says:

Joy — thank you so much for letting us be a part of your journey. You and your family are such beautiful souls!

14. Raeanne says:

I’m so in love with you all! Your heart, your photography, your amazing adventure… it’s awesome! I’m sad to just be discovering you because I live in Oak Park (right by TO) and would have loved to play while you lived here!! One of my mentors once told me, “Where there is risk, there is reward.” In your huge risk, I’m sure there is great reward – the kind of reward that only comes with great risk and sacrifice. Blessing to you on this incredible adventure – I’m excited to follow along!!!

15. caroline says:

Oh man I hear you sister!!! Some people really are rude!!!! You remember
    the beautiful words of your baby boy!!! I’m sitting here crying now because
    I just had these same feelings about a situation that happened in my life…I have been trying to process it & have kept feeling awful about myself. :( . You & your beautiful family have helped me so much this week!!! I will come back & read this post many times to get strength!!! THANK YOU!!! I love looking at your photos on instagram
    They are awesome!!! You are ALL living the dream!!! You are a great
    family…your children are pure sunshine!!! Keep living your life your way!!!
    Your husband is one handsome guy too!!! ;) )

16. Rebekah Borges says:

I’m so sorry people are hateful but it is truly inspirational what your family is doing. I show your Instagram pictures to my husband all the time because I would love to do this with our daughter and future kids. It’s one of the reasons I want to homeschool so we can take them out and see things first hand. Also thank you for your Christian testimony, it’s refreshing and makes me so happy to see other Christian’s vocal in a Godly and loving way. Thanks again.

17. Allison says:

Joy, Your fammily and your journey are SUCH an inspiration to me and I am so enjoying following you on Instagram and here. I loved the documentary and had my husband watch it! We are in awe of what you all are doing and wish we had the bravery and gumption to do it ourselves. Hang in there, let the haters hate… it’s what they do. Ain’t nobody got time for that! :) God Bless!

18. Marianne says:

You should know that the story of your family’s adventure has inspired my husband and I to begin seriously planning our own big adventure. You’ve made a huge impact, not only on yourself and your family, but on many, many folks who found your story. Filter out the negative comments as best you can and carry on!

19. Celine says:

Greetings from Malaysia, Joy! My family and I watched your video a couple of times today and we cried …. each time. You guys are so brave and we love that you are sharing your journey with us. Continue to share your journey. We will be praying for journey mercies and God’s protection over your family every night. ;) xoxo

20. Haley says:

I found you from Ashley’s blog post. I LOVE what you guys are doing and I’m so excited to be able to follow along.

21. Mallory says:

JOY! I just watched the video and I am just elated for you all. Honestly since day one I have been following your adventures, and have been so inspired by what you are doing. Our family has chosen to leave the trappings of this world and we too have heard judgment. Just know, that following what God wants for our families will never be the popular decision in this world, but wow, think about what amazing things you are teaching your little ones by only looking heavenward. I love that you have been honest from day one. I can only imagine that life on the road and living in a small space isn’t always easy, but experiencing the world and having such intentional time with your family? So priceless. I know we don’t know one another, but I am continually praying for you all on this adventure! Thank you for sharing it with the world :)

22. Candace says:

I LOVED the video, I LOVE that Song, and I LOVE you and your precious family! Thank you for sharing your journey and passion and love for your family! Social media is a blessing and a curse, and I’m so sorry you heard those lies! God bless you Joy! :) xoxo

23. Emily says:

Hugs and prayers being sent your way! I started reading all the negative comments on the video a few days ago and got so irritated and upset that I had to close the browser. Y’all are inspiring and brave and I’m happy to see that you’re rising above the criticism.

24. Kelly says:

Joy, you and your family are such an inspiration doing what others only dream of. I love following your journey on Instagram each picture puts a smile on my face. It really upsets me that people feel the need to spew negativity I am so sorry you have had to deal with that. But your right the only one you have to worry about is God.

Keep on doin what your doin. It’s wonderful.

25. Heather Ferrill says:

Joy and Donny,
    Keep your heads held high! You two are sweet and kind and undeserving of such made up bologna! People just assume the worst, they have no hope. I wish your family well and pray that this only helps you grow stronger. Forget the comments on the Yahoo and remember all the people you have rooting for you and wishing they could do the same. You have blessed my family with you talent and I pray that you continue to inspire others.
    Thanks,
    Heather

26. Kendra says:

I look forward to your pictures on Instragram everyday! My spirits are lifted when I see your happy, beautiful family of 6 all experiencing life in your gorgeous one of a kind home on wheels! Thank you for putting yourself out there and I pray that God will continue to bless this adventure you are on. Keep your chin up for the Devil will do all he can to steal your Joy.

27. Jessi says:

Sweet sweet Joy, I can’t even begin to tell you how much your sweet family has touched my heart! I am so sorry that the darkness of this world seems to creep into every corner! I am however so thankful and what a blessing to have the ever burning light of our savior Jesus Christ to end that darkness for us!!!;) you guys are living such a blessed calling! Your babes are beautiful and precious and amazing!!! What a great honorable husband you have and you my dear are above Rubies!!! Love and prayers always from Longview Texas!!!

28. Dee says:

I loved your video. I found it refreshing and inspiring. I immediately called my husband at work to watch it. I think what you are doing is amazing and a true gift to your family. I only wish more people had the faith like you do to leave it all behind and focus on their faith and family. There is always going to be someone who doesn’t agree with what we do, especially when it comes to following Jesus. Remember that they are lies and Satan is taking the Good you were spreading and trying to take you down with his lies. Wrapping you in prayer this morning.

29. Amber P. says:

I just want all the good comments to drown out the bad ones, so I’m writing this BIG:

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

30. Sam says:

I just want to say that you and your family have been such an inspiration for me and my family in the past few weeks. We have been having a rough time and seeing you guys make this plunge and bettering your relationship as a family has opened our eyes. I am so very sorry for all the harsh words people have said about this video and your life. I do not know how people can judge so much from such a short look into your life. You are truly inspiring and I just thought you could use hearing that from one more person:)

31. Kelly says:

As you can tell by my email, my last name is Prouty. I stumbled upon your blog randomly and thought “how cool, another Prouty Family!”…I am just in awe of your adventurous spirit and bravery. To take on such a large challenge with a family could not have been an easy decision but you seem to be doing it with grace. Yes there will be tough times, but there are tough times even when you have the “normal” day to day life. I hate that you have had such negative comments, but you seem to be trusting in God and trusting that He is the way. I think you are providing your children with such an amazing adventure and they will have stories to tell! You should read about the creators of Burt’s Bee’s….they didn’t start with much at all but with love of family and life they made it through. As a fellow Prouty….you are doing the name proud! :)

32. Jessica Looney says:

I have followed you on instagram since the weeks before Mabels birth. I am thankful for the ways God uses your everyday pictures to bring a smile to my face. I am pregnant and have two littles and they days can be long like I am sure they are for yall somedays. But you capture so beautifully and encourage me to find the beauty in the chaos! I hope the Lord continues to richly bless your family and this journey. I know you children will rise up and call you blessed one day!!

33. Charity says:

Your name suits you… Joy on!

34. Amy Cornwell says:

I have to admit, I haven’t watched the video yet but can’t wait to. I follow you on Instagram and love what you’re doing for your family. Hubby and I have contemplated the same thing – what an education for your kids and what a growth time as a family. Knowing the critics are out there can make it hard for anyone to put themselves out there – but you’re doing exactly what God has called you to do. Keep on keeping on. Blessings and hugs!

35. Barbara Stevens says:

Blessed journey, beautiful boobies!

36. Jackie Kirsten says:

I am following your journey on instagram and here on you blog and I love every little second of it. You & your family are such a BIG example for me, keep it up and don’t worry about the rest. You know in your heart you’re doing the right thing!

37. MelissaMarie says:

I asked myself “How would I handle this if I was in her shoes” and I pray that I would have the integrity that you have shown. God’s grace is showing through you and is a bright example to the world. I pray that you will continue to rest in Him and seek His wisdom. He is doing something great with your family!!

38. Liz says:

Loved reading this!
    God is faithful to those that put their trust in Him. I love seeing and being a small part of your beautiful, happy, healthy family on IG.
    ❤❤

39. Whitney says:

Joy–I had so been meaning to watch this documentary of your family and it altogether brightened my morning. After seeing your beautiful pictures both here and on instagram and hearing the most kind of words about you and your family from sweet Emma of Emma Leigh Photography, what joy to see your family live and in color through this recap of the goal and intentions of your journey. You are brave & it is amazing to see the way the Lord led you to this great adventure. Thank you for being raw, for sharing with us the hardships and the struggles and for entrusting us to keep you and your family in our prayers. As you said in your post, God, the great creator and sustainer of our faith will always be your guide. Blessings to you and your family! Loving that we can follow your adventures to new backyards. With love, Whitney

40. Abby says:

I think you are so brave for sharing your story. I love following your Instagram feed, and have enjoyed peeking into your amazingly brave adventure. It takes such courage to follow God’s lead–so inspired by your faith. (A couple weeks ago at church your sweet family popped in my head, and I prayed for you. Crazy because I don’t know you!) Much love from Indiana!

41. Melissa says:

I think what you are doing is beyond amazing. It is such a blessging that God provided you with a talent and career that allows you this opportunity. Your children will never forget this experience. I know it’s impossible but don’t let the negative get you down.

42. Tiffany Hendrickson says:

From one mama to another, I just want to say you just keep on keeping on. Although it certainly looks like you found your strength and inspiration once more so good for you! I look forward to your instagrams every day. Living a life full of purpose is never easy but it is certainly worth every minute.

43. Danielle says:

Hey! I’ve recently started following along your journey and couldn’t wait to see the video to hear more of your story. Not that it matters what I think, but I think what your doing…no, more accurately, the reasons you’re doing what you’re doing are fabulous! Like I said, I’m new here, so I have one question that is just my curious self being curious so feel free to not answer, but I’m just so interested that I have to ask. Do you see an end to living on the road like this? Is there a planned end date or are you simply taking it day at a time and choosing to cross that bridge when you come to it?
    Thanks for sharing your journey with us all! Sorry for any negative effects the video may have had on you guys even if they were fleeting. I love your trailer and your general style. Blessings!

44. ashley says:

i think your journey sounds wonderful. ignore the haters and know you’re on the right path :)

45. Bailey K. says:

What you are doing for your family is priceless and the memories will be worth a million dollars. There is nothing better for a child’s education than to actually experience things. Relying on time and experiences with your family in order to grow rather than stuff and things and clutter is something that I strive to do every day. I love what you are doing and I hope that when my husband and I have kids, we’ll be able to do the same. I’m so sorry about all the negativity! Just remember to live for an audience of One!! (Proverbs 29:25 – The fear of man is a dangerous trap, but those who trust in the Lord will be safe.)

46. Gretchen says:

What an amazing adventure for you and your family! It has to be hurtful having the mean comments made. Know that most of us find your story awesome and inspiring! I’m so glad Ashley posted about your family.

47. Bree says:

Loved your video, thank you for letting us in on just a little bit of your world. Shame on anyone for judging you and your husband for what is right for your family. You have a beautiful story. Feeling very inspired by your family and jealous of all the personal time you get to spend with you family exploring the great wide open.

48. Casey says:

Your story is an inspiration. You should be so proud of the beautiful family you have and the memories you are creating for you and your kids. Don’t let those negative people and comments bother you one bit…I always feel those people just deep down are jealous that they don’t have the courage to move forward with something they have always wanted to do but don’t have the strength to do so. They should be inspired and not put you down for their own fears. Keep on keepin on. I love every picture you post and blog you write. Xo

49. Stephanie says:

I remember the day yahoo filmed you… You asked for prayers that God would give you the words to say and that those words would point to Him. I remember this because, like hundreds or more likely thousands of your followers I prayed hard for you. Your video was pure, raw beauty and I’d say without a shred of doubt that God answered all those prayers that day and the documentary turned out exactly as He wanted. Please don’t for a second let the comments of a bunch of lost people who are afraid of the Truth (gosh, we need to pray for these people) hurt you and negate this amazing thing that God is working through you. Mine is just one of many stories of how you are true inspiration… I discovered you just after you began your journey and have followed you on IG since. I found you just, as God would have it, as we sold our home of ten years to move 500 miles from home to Dallas (soo excited about TX, though!!!) where we know no one. I can’t even put into words the courage you have given me or how much of a lifeline your IG feed is for me right now. I hope you know how loved and appreciated you are by this complete stranger! I thank God for you, Joy!!!

50. Kara says:

I think your story is a beautiful one. I saw the the video and thought what a cool family. I then googled your name and found out your were wildflowers photography and got super excited. I have admired your work for a while and am in awe of the stories you tell through your photography. Keep your head up. You guys are doing a great job. God Bless!

51. Stephanie says:

P.S. I can always tell how aligned with God’s will I am by how harsh “the world” seems. You must really be doing something right if your are facing such criticism :)

52. Michaela says:

Dear Joy
    I follow u on instagram and I haven’t wasted my time reading the comments from the haters…I watched ur documentary and it made me so happy! U are living life to the full and ur children will be forever grateful. Life is for living, and what ur doing will create memories of a lifetime. I can’t even imagine what is to be criticised in ur life!! Anyway hi from the uk, ur photos truly inspire me x

53. Tiffany says:

I loved the Video! My husband always tells me if you don’t have haters you are not doing something right….. He says people only want to talk if their Jealous or are never brave enough to do what you are doing!
    So keep doing what’s right for your family and don’t listen to what the haters say. Your living life well they to busy worrying about others.

54. Danielle says:

I grew up being homeschooled and now also homeschool my children. I grew up hearing everyone’s opinions about my parents choices. I have never understood why people think they need to let that meanness out. I think what you are doing is beautiful an wonderful. I would join at the drop of a hat. The things I remember most from school are the things I experienced and felt like I had a part in. The workbooks did not stick with me. Moments and field trips did.

55. Laurie says:

I am so very glad that I came to discover you and your family on IG. Following you is a daily highlight and I am inspired by the sheer beauty of your family and the adventure you’ve embarked upon. All the very best wishes to you! Keep up the great, and very hard, work!

56. Camille LePage says:

Joy – This post brought tears to my eyes and please dont EVER stop doing what you do. You have such an amazing spirit and I love watching your family go through all of these adventures and i have NEVER seen so many smiley faces then I do on your kids faces in each photo. You and Donny are an amazing set of parents and I wish you ALL nothing but happiness!

57. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang says:

You, my dear, are a treasure! I adore you and love you and wish you all the best. I LOVE Nicole N. Her words speak truth deep inside me. Isn’t it strange that we don’t always feel His love? I know Mother Theresa wrote of it often – I always find comfort knowing that I am not alone in feeling dryness sometimes – although I would never wish that on anyone. I will be praying for rivers of peace and love to pour over you.

58. lora says:

y’all are amazing! you are such a beautiful light for Jesus.

59. Jenny says:

I am an IG “friend”. I’ve watched your video 3 or 4 times. I love it, so do my 4 kiddos. It makes me so sad to hear that people are so negative. We live in a fallen world, and part of that shows up when people throw stones at beautiful things. Social media is a wonderful thing, and I’m so glad it gets you the connections you need TO live this life. Unfortunately, social media also gives people a place to be anonymous and spew the negativity into the world that is overflowing, sadly, from their heart. Just remember, you’re braver than they are. You are NOT anonymous on social media, as they are choosing to be. You are putting yourself out there as a shinning light for Him. He will only thank you for that, and that’s what matters. Shine on Prouty family!

60. steffy says:

you both are AMAZING and so lucky that you can bring your job with you around the country! the memories you are making with your children are ones that will cherish forever. my fiance and i dream about traveling and camping throughout the country, but just cant step away from our jobs at the beginning of our careers in our mid-late twenties. it’s something we always say “one day” about. you are SO brave and such an inspiration to be able to say today is the day, were doing it now. i adore watching your journey <3

xo
    steffy

61. Michelle Guzman says:

When I think of your family, the word, “Beautiful” comes to mind. You all are not only beautiful on the outside, but have such beautiful hearts that can be noticed even from your writing and photos.

As for the untrue and mean remarks, some people are unhappy and jump at the chance to criticize. I feel sorry for these people because I can’t imagine being so unhappy and unsettled with myself that I would even think to say what these people say to others.

God bless you all. You are such an inspiration! I don’t know you, but your love for God, family, and friends is so amazing! Thank you for sharing! :)

62. Traci says:

Joy you and your family are such an inspiration and Blessing! Thank you for sharing your journey with us here and on Instagram… and we can not wait for you to arrive in Texas!!!

63. Kayla says:

You are a beautiful family whose love and respect for one another shine from your eyes. I think you are doing an amazing thing and I believe that God will make your family all the better for it. When others have hurtful or negative things to say just pray for them and know that (even though I don’t know you) I am praying for you and your little family every step of your journey and hope that you recieve an abundance of blessings along the way.

64. Tracy says:

I began following your story about a month before Mabel was born and instantly fell in love with you and your family. I appreciate you, your photography and your journey. I am longing for a change in my life, trying to make it all make sense. Trying to be more present in my everyday and connect more with my family. I don’t have a clue where or how to start my journey but I am working on it. You give me hope and something to look forward to.

65. Carrie Taylor says:

I just wanted to say thank you for letting the Lord use you and your families story to touch soooo many lives. :-)

66. Melissa Allam says:

I found your blog recently in a round about way through the American Blogger documentary being filmed and have looked back to catch up on your adventures in your trailer. I admire you, your family and your faith and your perseverance to follow your dreams and desires. This is something my husband and I would like to do to, so reading your story is keeping me excited about the dream. I love it! I pray for protection and safety for you and your family, physically and emotionally, to be swooped up on the wings of eagles, to be strong and not grow weary. Blessings to you Prouty’s.

67. Amy @Fig Milkshakes says:

You truly ARE an inspiration to so many of us. I hate to sum up what I want to be such an encouraging comment to so few words, but: haters be hatin’, Joy! You guys keep rocking on for Jesus!

68. Natasha says:

I saw your story on Yahoo and was absolutely amazed!! I loved it!! I don’t have a lot but if you ever pass through Phenix City, AL or get anywhere close to it I would love to be able to bless you all with whatever you might need.

69. Becky J says:

I was delighted watching your darling family and this awesome adventure…hooray for you and THANK YOU for the reminder to LIVE FULLY..Life is a gift from God’s precious hand….He will take care of tomorrow, He alone!! :) Happy trails to you!!

70. Cara Williams says:

We made the leap last year, took over an inn while I was 3 months pregnant, moved our family of 5 into a 975 square foot studio apartment above the kitchen. It’s been so worth it. We actually love it-minus the no sleeping part! All the cramped space and the living on top of one another…it’s amazing. And intentional and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. We fought hard like you guys to get it and as I watch your pictures roll through my feed and read your words, I find myself smiling and loving your experiences with you! I applaud your journey and the reasons you’re doing it. Also, if you ever need a place to stay in southern arizona, you can park your amazing house on wheels at our home! (and shower…and do laundry)

71. Ginger says:

Joy,

The video was such an inspiration. I loved being able to hear you speak after seeing all of your lovely pictures. You have the nicest voice! Whenever you write your book, you also need to do it in audio form! I was shocked when I read your post that you and your husband had been criticized for doing this. Everything you have done shows the immeasurable love you have for your family as parents. From what I have seen, you have enormous support. Isn’t it sad how just a few negative and hurtful words can wound us so? I admire what you have done for your family. I watched your video at least six times, 3 of them with my little 8 year old niece who loved watching it, even though she couldn’t understand how anyone could part with so much stuff! I admit, that would be very hard for me to do also. I am such a sentimentalist. But, things are not what is important in this life, and you are giving your children treasures beyond measure. Thank you, Joy for allowing us to be able to follow you along in your journey, not behind you in a trailer (for we could never compete with the charm of yours) but in our hearts. Do not be discouraged, for you are such an encourager. May God continue to bless you and your beautiful children!

72. Alli says:

I don’t know if you’ll read this comment, but I just wanted to say thank you for your story. My husband joked around about buying an RV, selling or renting our house, and just going. I was horrified. Told him not a chance. But then God worked on me. He gave me the desire to simplify. The idea didn’t seem so scary. Your story helped me. God is working on us and we know that if He wants us to go on this journey, then He will provide a way. I would love to be able to teach my daughter (6 months now) about the simper things in life. How God will make a way when there seems to be none available. So again, thank you. You have a beautiful family.

73. Laura Fifield says:

Joy,

I have admired your family [and your photography] for sometime now. After seeing this short video…I have so much admiration for your family! You and Donny truly love your children with every fiber of your being..and that is very apparent! You are living a life of purpose, and following your dreams. God put these dreams on your heart for a reason..it takes courage to see this though! I hope I get the chance to meet you one day!

74. Liz says:

Way to think positively! For every mean spirited comment, there is probably 10 people who feel in awe and admire your bravery. Your journey is a fantastic expirence that your children will grow from and always remember. I love that you are choosing to dwell on that. Reading about your journeys keys me wish you were heading to my little corner of the world so I could give you a hug. ;)

75. Cathy says:

I found your story tonight through AshleyAnn’s blog. And I am so glad I did. You are an inspiration and a breath of fresh air. Thanks for being so willing to share your story. I look forward to following your adventures and will pray for your sweet family as you make wonderful memories and show the world what family is all about!

76. Lisa says:

Thank you for your story and for sharing such an amazing adventure! All that matters most in this beautiful season of your life is your happiness!

77. Alysa says:

Saw your documentary today. My husband showed me. Totally resonated with me as we have very similiar lives — So. cal, large mortgage, lots of kiddos, not our dream house, so busy, etc — it was inspiring for me as I saw/heard myself. Way to go by actually going forth and doing it. I am still in the dreaming stage of doing it and wondering if my teenagers would be okay going ;) You guys are amazing!!

78. Danielle says:

I loved the video! I don’t know how anyone could come up with anything negative to say in watching such a blip from your lives! Ok, maybe they could be against homeschooling but seriously!?! I guess you guys glimpsed the dark side of being online.

Just remember those people don’t really know anything about you and enjoy the journey!

79. Stephanie Garcia says:

Hi, Joy and Donny!

I don’t understand how people can watch that video and not come out of it with a smile and a sense of lightheartedness. You guys are ~shiny~.

I’ve been following your blog and website for what seems like ages, even before you guys moved everything to this new swanky one. :) These days, your IG is something I check as soon as I log on to the Internet because I know it will brighten my day.

In fact, when you post a ‘good night’ or a ‘bye for now’, my day is most likely just starting because I’m all the way on the other side of the world.

I’m sending you waves of encouragement and sunshine from the Philippines, a country in a part of the world that’s known for having a heckuva lot of sunshine, haha.

a fan,
    Stephanie

80. Lynn says:

I just wanted to tell you that I have been following you on IG and through your blog and I have NEVER been more moved and touched as I am by you and your family! Every word I read, every picture I see and the awesome Yahoo! video I watched, moves me. Y’all move me to tears to laughter and to pulling my little family closer. God bless you all and just remember that most people are quick to judge things they don’t understand. If it were easy, everyone would do it, stay strong!!! Thanks so much for sharing so much!!

81. rhonda says:

I just posted this as my FB status… and then came and read your post. ““Why can’t we resist the urge to second-guess and evaluate each other?…Sometimes I wonder if the final judgment will be a breeze compared with what we’ve put each other through here on earth.” ― Sheri L. Dew”
    I thought it was quite applicable.
    The video was beautiful. You are following your heart and God’s vision for your family. Good on ya!!

82. Alvina says:

You guys do what you need and want to do! :) Haters gonna hate – they’re probably just really jealous. Embrace God’s great adventure (Steven Curtis Chapman early 90s anyone?) for your family. Your kiddos look happy, chubs, and in a lot of your pictures, serene. How many kids would you really describe as serene? :) Love how you weave your faith into the things you talk about – and just keep looking to Him! Let Him be your compass! Even Jesus got criticized and heckled at, you guys will soldier on!

83. Kelly says:

I am following your blog after seeing your yahoo video. When I saw your video I just knew you loved Jesus! You are living the life He has for you and your family and He will bless you for it. I just finished a bible study over the book Anything by Jennie Allen and I think you are living the “anything” for your life. Allowing God to do anything to bring him the glory. God bless you all!

84. susie says:

You guys are amazing! Fun for you to do this now when everyone is still young!

85. Renae says:

I’m your newest follower :) I love what you are doing. I’ve heard your name before – probably Ashley or Rosie… but wanted to check out your video after Ashley’s post yesterday! I love what you’re doing! I love your trailer, your style, your photos! and I think it’s awesome that you guys are taking this adventure of a lifetime! It’s kind of a dream of mine! I’m excited to follow you on instagram and see a peak of some of your adventures this year!

86. Missie says:

I do hope that you do not listen to the negative and down right rude comments….so true, haters hate.

Enjoy your time with your family….
    I don’t know a homeschooling family that wouldn’t want to do what you are doing….

87. Heather says:

It’s so sad to hear and read mean comments people post-especially since they would never probably say it to someone’s face. I have followed your story from the beginning. I came across your IG from Ashley Ann, because I follow her blog. I feel like I know you and your beautiful family. I love your amazing photos. You seem like such kind hearted people…if I saw your trailer and your family, I would seek you out and give you a hug so I could meet you in person. :-) thanks for sharing your story….the good always out weighs the bad.

88. Matt says:

I found your story on Yahoo’s page as well. I immediately thought about the path our family of 5 has been on over the last 18 months. Like you, the majority of people would find us crazy. But we now live where we’ve always dreamt and live for the things that matter, our family. You guys are an encouragement to us and I truly hope God blesses you every step of the way!

89. Marisa says:

Found you on Ashley Ann’s blog and I’m so glad I did, what an inspirational story and such beautiful radiant photos! I love that you are following your heart and making your dream a reality. It give so many of us who aren’t there yet such hope. Keep it up and thank you!!

90. Zuzana says:

Slovakia is with you Joy, at least me for sure, take care and do what you heart say.

91. Jackie says:

I love this! I’ve loved following you on Instagram and am really proud of the decisions you’ve made for your family. I am sorry that there are people out there who feel they have a place to judge you for those decisions; especially when it has NOTHING to do with them. You and Don are strong and wise because you both lean on God’s strength and wisdom. Praying for you both to have continued strength to keep sharing your life with us as it’s been very inspirational to me.
    Praying for you all!

92. Susanna says:

Joy! I’ve been meaning to get around to watching the documentary and reading the comments for days. And today I finally did. Your family is experiencing an adventure and joy that is in many ways unique and in other ways ordinary but in every way beautiful. The uniqueness inspires us and the ordinary resonates with us. Please take heart girl. You and your family are living life well. Love it!

93. Sarah says:

I saw your video today posted by another photographer. I think what you are doing is just amazing!!! Don’t listen to the negative comments some people can’t think beyond the cul de sac life. You are teaching your children many, many, many valuable lessons that they would never learn without your adventure. I admire you so much!!! Good luck with your travels!

94. Heather says:

I hope these notes of encouragement have lifted your heart above the darkness that some tried to put on you and your sweet family. Everyone is searching for a way to live WELL and all the things we peruse sometimes stand in the way of that. You have been clear about the priorities for your family and that is such an inspiration. People are jealous of that joy they saw in your faces. They so want that for themselves and the natural human reaction is to try and diminish what you are doing with your life to make themselves feel better. It is a horrible thing to do and I hope you know now that it has nothing to do with reality. Keep trucking. So glad I found your beautiful story!

95. Darla says:

Wow! What a roller coaster ride that Yahoo piece took you two on. All I can say is keep on keeping on. You and your babies will always remember these times as some of the best. God watches over you and there is no doubt in my mind that you love with an unusual love, abiding, deep, lasting. I look so forward to your posts and champion you to all naysayers. Wish we had been brave enough to try it when ours were little. Don’t let anybody set standards for your family. God has a different plan for your family. It works perfectly that way. God bless you and keep that focus. His will is your perfect place to be!

96. Bethany says:

Woo hoo! To camper living!! It’s been such a good decision for our family too. If you pass through north Texas give us a holler. :) I admire you for your bravery in showing the world. It’s hard enough to make that kind of decision in the knowledge of friends and family and hearing all their reasons why it’s not a good idea. I can imagine the wieght of Internet exposure is heavy! But along with it are the encouraging supportive word from friends and family and I hope you hear those words here too. I wish you guys safe travels and wonderful memories and most importantly that God would be glorified in all you’re doing! :)

97. Rachel says:

What a lovely video. And thank you for sharing your heart. You are giving your children an incredible irreplaceable experiences.

98. Jessica says:

I love your video! I watched it while on my lunch break at work and when it was finished I immediately felt so inspired and uplifted and I went back to work with a spring in my step. Your video makes me want to find the beauty in my own life and just be…happiness. I think what you’re doing is so brave and awesome, and totally scary :P But I can see how such an experience can be so fulfilling, enlightening, and organic.

In a nutshell, I am totally in love with your story.

99. Luisa Leon says:

I am one of your silent followers on instagram. I know you get a lot of comments and with your busy life with your beautiful children, you might be unable to read all of them; but, after reading your blog i decided to join the team and tell you what an inspiration you are. I just had my baby girl 4 months ago and i have been trying to deal with all the changes. You show me every day the beauty in life and how wonderful it can all be if we focus on the positive. Please dont ever stop inspiring us. Thank you for doing the yahoo documentary. Your strength and virtues will get to even more people now. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

100. Caroline says:

So fabulous! You guys are living my dream and please ignore any negativity that comes your way!

101. Rachel says:

You, Joy are amazing!!!! What your husband and you are doing is amazing!! I had a friend tell me about what you were doing and that she followed you on Instagram. You have completely touched my life since that day when I started following you a few months ago! I agree with everything you said above! The only thing that matters is how God sees you, and is you are as a mother to those beautiful children you are raising! Thank you for being bold and sharing your journey with everyone. I feel like a lucky duck to even get a glimpse into all that you are doing. I am a mom of four and I totally get the bobbies thing and that comment you posted made me laugh! I also have one boy and three daughters! We live in Idaho, I hope that you will be able to drive through some o fthe beauty the Idaho has to offer! Keep doing what you are doing! You are changing lives! I know you’ve changed mine! God will bless you on your way for you are putting your family first and how could anyone go wrong with that idea! Thank you again for sharing!

102. Leah says:

What an awesome adventure and incredible experience for your family! The day I figured out my worth was 100% in Christ was the day my life changed BIG TIME. Let the naysayers nay. Enjoy every minute of it, even the terribly hard ones that I am sure happen.

103. Leslie says:

I just came across your story today and I think you guys are amazing and have inspired me to simplify my life to better meet the needs of my family! Thanks for your story and for your blog. I look forward to following you on this journey!

104. Bonnie says:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

Thank you for having the courage to “live out loud”.

105. Kara Garber says:

Love it all!! So refreshing….your welcome to our neck of the woods anytime! (Ohio) if you need a place to rest we would love to have y’all….
    Luke my 7 year old son thought the video was pretty neato! We journeyed to Oregon this past June in a camper…woohoo for those memories; flat tire & all…

106. Tara Schields says:

Joy, I’m so sorry to hear that the video brought such negative responses by some people. I never would have guessed that anyone could view this beautiful adventure with anything other then love. It is truly beautiful what you and Donny are doing for your family. My husband and I plan to do the same, but not until the kids are older. I’m thinking when they are in 5th, 8th and 9th grade. It’s important to have family time and sometimes that means getting away from the normal day to day life and all that comes with it. After hearing some of the negative/ridiculous views of others, I can see what some will think of us, if we take our kids out of public school to homeschool them on the road for a year or longer. But, like you said, it doesn’t matter what they think. I hope you are able to completely forget about all the naysayers and just enjoy your precious time with the kids and Donny. Much love to you and your family.

107. Simone says:

Howdy? My whole family watched your video when it was on Yahoo and loved it. Love that you’re living an intentional life with your kids and not letting others define what your life should look like. Love that you’re a Jesus girl and praying that he’ll continue to strengthen you for the journey ahead. Peace to you.

108. Kim says:

Good for you! We made major life changes a few years ago. Sold what we had expected to be our dream ranch (in the end, it wasn’t) purged a lot of stuff we had been hanging onto, packed up the youngest 7 of our 10 kids and moved to Europe for a few years. Best decision ever. I have no idea exactly where we will be in 5 yrs or 10. Truth is, NONE of us do. We are only guaranteed today so we are wringing the joy out of every moment of this adventure.

Wishing you all the best. Enjoy the journey! : )

109. Shawna says:

I have to tell you how much I love your story! I love seeing your family experiencing such a beautiful life together. What you are doing is like a dream for me. Most of the time I am so happy with our settled life on the farm, in the beauty of BC with it’s mountains and river surrounding us, but every now and then I just get this urge to leave it all and travel our country (Canada) with my family. Running our family dairy farm this isn’t a possibility for our family, but what your story reminds me to do is just to slow life down and to really live every moment with my kids and husband. To know that in all our busy schedules we need to carve out time for just us, to camp, to play, and to love. I love your nature study. I also have four kids and homeschool, and need to be more intentional about using nature journals in our classrooms, my kids love exploring outside. It’s a good reminder not to be tied to the curriculum and to just see God in all creation. I have admired your photography for a few years now and just stumbled across your story again through Ann Voskamp’s blog. I am so glad I did! After reading your inspiring wild adventure I am again inspired to truly enjoy the rest of our summer, to soak in each day and do life with my kids instead of living parallel to them. Thank you for sharing your journey! I look forward to enjoying the rest of your journey as you post. And if your journey ever takes you through Canada… ;)

110. Jill says:

I just clicked over from Ann Voskamp’s link. Wow! I just watched the Yahoo video and have tears streaming down my face. What a refreshing, inspiring story. Blessings to you and your amazing family as you embark on this incredible journey.

111. Jody says:

You rock. Keep lovin on those kids. You are living the dream of what we all wish we were brave enough to do – to abandon the holds of everyday American living & to just love our families!!

112. Ashley says:

I’m a little late in finding your post but I’m usually always late. The technology we have today is wonderful and it’s great that due to social media like blogs, twitter, facebook, etc. we can share and find stories like the one of our family without ever meeting you in person. Unfortunately, with that technology, I feel so many people are more opinionated than ever. People are nasty and cynical and just plain negative and mean. If you aren’t killing yourselves to have the “dream” than you are a “bad parent”. Not true! My friend Melissa is also a photographer and she and her husband have decided to make the same decision. Their little trailer is just darling…like yours. What’s awesome is your mind and heart are clear because you have followed God through this whole process and your family will be a strong unit. Just keep your eyes on Him and doing what your doing! It’s awesome!

113. sonya says:

That is so wonderful, inspiring and courageous. I feel like I want to take a leap but feel too paralyzed to do so. I think you all are doing a wonderful wonderful thing for your family. I’m so glad I came across your blog and just the inspiring photos that you are sharing of your family life. God is with you and in the joy of your family.

114. Karin says:

Could I add my delight over your journey to all the other comments? How wonderful to live this dream homeschooling together in a vintage trailer, traveling and seeing the beautiful USA? I found your blog through Design Aglow’s post of your new video. Blessings on your journey! You have inspired me in a dozen ways to follow our own dreams!

115. Michelle says:

I just stumbled upon your blog and am so incredibly thankful that I did! Your story is an amazing testimony to the power of listening to God and being obedient to His call. Never for one second should you believe any lies or slander that may be written about you and your precious family. As a mom to two grown boys, I can tell you that you will never regret one second of the time that you choose to spend with your kids while they are little. I pray that your adventure continues, and that you and your husband hold strong to your faith.

116. jessica says:

i watched the video on yahoo and i just had to find your website. you’re family is an inspiration. many times we become slaves to money and work that we forget to enjoy the simple but amazing laughters and sunsets. i also believe you are leaving a good legacy to your children. that money does not control you but love does. i mean we’re called to live life in abundance and you guys are doing it. God bless

117. Kendall says:

I think your family is so brave an so lovely! My husband and I are in a weird state of transition regarding jobs and housing right now (he has a new position that he can do from anywhere, our lease is up and we feel super unsettled), and I’ve been thinking about that video a lot. Maybe God is calling us to pack it all up, sell a bunch, and move!

Your family is inspiring and beautiful and you are doing the right thing. I’m so sorry that there have been hurtful things said, but there are also those of us that watched your story and are praying about how God might call us to do something kinda crazy too.

118. Lauren says:

You are awe-inspiring! Your family is precious and your journey is amazing! Keep your eyes fixed on God, the author and perfecter of your faith and nothing else matters!

119. Tiffany says:

Oh, Joy. Thank you. That’s all I can say. Thank you for sharing your heart so openly. I am saddened at the idea that anyone could say anything negative about your family and how you’ve chosen to live..wild & free & pure & with purpose. It is such an inspiration to me and so many others, I know. I cried as I read this post, as it spoke so directly to my heart. I think you are wonderful and brave and I so very truly enjoy following your family’s journey through your photos on Instagram and here on your blog. Many thoughts and prayers for you and your precious ones.

120. Jessica says:

You are just the most adorable, awesome family I’ve ever seen. Your instagram feed is my favorite and so inspiring. Will you be making your way through boring Iowa any time soon? :)

121. Jeannie says:

Oh Joy. It is truly baffling to me that people could find anything to dislike about your family and what you’re doing. I’ve watched that video more than once (because we dream of doing the exact same thing) and all I see is love radiating off the screen. Acts 17:26-27 tells us that He has created you and placed you exactly where you should be to bring you joy and Him glory. “And He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him.” I really do believe that you have stepped out in faith and like a pebble in a lake, the ripples that are going to come of this adventure will be such a blessing to all. Praying for each of you daily.

122. Sunshine says:

So sad that people cannot see the point !!! I am amazed & inspired by your willingness to step outside the box. May God bless you along the way.

123. Ashlee Tomes says:

I have always been inspired by you, Joy. The video was wonderful! I can’t imagine how someone could create something negative from such a brave and exciting story! I love that you are bold in your faith in Jesus and that you are taking a risk to do what is best for your family. We can all learn and grow from your story. Thank you! And I absolutely LOVE your work, by the way :)

Ashlee

124. Mindy says:

I have only recently “found” you when an Instagram friend liked one of your photos and I clicked through and entered into your world. How anyone could watch that video and judge you is beyond me. As someone living paycheck to paycheck, who wishes for more MEANINGFUL moments with my family, your video makes me want to shake things up a bit. Explore more. Let go of this yoke of fear that has been around my neck for so long. Anyway, thank you for your beautiful site and best of all blessings to your wonderful family!

Mindy~

125. cheyanne says:

I so love your blog and you instagram post and have been following you for awhile now. You and your family are such a inspiration, I love how you are enjoying life and spending quality time with your spouse and kids it is wonderful. I hope that the rest of your journey is filled with lots of laughter and many fun memories and I will enjoy your pics on instagram!

126. Katie says:

The boot floating in front of you all… *bliss* I love your story, travels and photos.

127. Adria says:

I have been a LONG time follower of your work and you and your family never fail to amaze and inspire me. Thank you for being brave enough to allow us strangers into your life and follow in your journey. As a (semi) newlywed my husband and I are searching for what we really want in our lives, the kind of lives we want to start a family in. The life we hope for is very different from the lives “normal” people live and at times I think we will never be able to achieve our goals and dreams. But you and your darling family gives me hope. Thank you!

128. Alida Rodriguez says:

You are living my dream. Thank you for following Gods will for your life and your family. This just so inspires me that all things are possible. Be blessed. I’d love to hear about the practical ways you are pulling this off. Thanks. Alida w6